Friday, September 19, 2014

High Moon Is No More.

As a noob game developer, I've made a few mistakes. Ok fine, a lot of mistakes. One of them being a misunderstanding of how trademarks work.

Now, I haven't been accused of infringing, and I don't think I ever would be. But the reality is, I could be. There is a webseries comic called "High Moon", which I knew about after I started using the name High Moon (but totally should have known about it beforehand) and thought distinguishing my IP as "High Moon The Game" and "High Moon: The Elements" would be good enough to avoid any legal troubles.

Well, this week, for the third time in the year I've been using the name High Moon, someone asked if it was at all related to the web comic. Both are westerns, both feature supernatural things.

As I understand it, trademark infringement depends a lot on if your IP can be confused with another, and seem logically linked. If the other High Moon was a research lab dedicated to studying the lunar cycles, there wouldn't really be much of an issue.

So, before any issues arise, I'm changing the name of the game.

It's a pretty big hit in terms of progress. Seeing as everyone knows the game as High Moon. The transition itself will take awhile too as I've got to change the name everywhere. But this is the consequence of not doing my research. Learn from my bad example! LEARN!!!



The new name is...


Undecided so far! But here are a list of candidates that are available (all of them would likely have subtitles, like High Moon: The Elements): 
Dusk 'til Death
Iron & Magic (the game has a lot of robots in it)
Sundown: Duels (this one probably sounds the most like a game)
Sunset Slinger
Grimslinger (Grim is short for Grimoire Animus, which are little companion robots you use to cast magic. It's what gives you your abilities really. So, technically you play a grimslinger in the game. More on that to come later!)
Wild Iron



Which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment