Monday, December 22, 2014

Be a Cheerleader



...and I don't mean sport the mini-skirt pom pom combo. 

What I mean is be someone who cheers others on.



This post is written to Indie Game Developers, but it applies to everyone. 

HARSH BARLEY BRO

Game development is tough. It's tough for verterans and noobs alike, and so the point of this post today is to rally the troops, the community, peoples of the interwebs, to be cheerleaders. 

I spend a fair bit of time on IndieDB. The great thing about that site is they are willing to publish just about any game's article on their front page. I love it, it's unbiased (to my knowledge) and gives every little indie a chance. 

One thing you'll see though, is 0 comments on 90% of the articles posted. Many of those articles directly asking questions and seeking feedback. 

This isn't a problem directly isolated on IndieDB, but in many other areas of the internet and indie community. I get it, time is precious. Or, a game simply doesn't catch your fancy. That's ok! 

But I think all of us game devs know how awesome it is when someone engages with our content. Even just a "hey, looks great" or "keep up the good work!". When it happens to me, I honestly don't care how sincere they are, I take that tidbit of motivation and run with it. 

RISE SIT UP, OH NERDS!

Take a few minutes out of your day to comment on someone else's content. Go through IndieDB's main page and offer an encouraging remark on a post with 0 comments. You don't need to really be excited about their game.

Rather, be excited for an indie trying to make their dream come true. Indies need each other, we're a family, let's act like it and show some love!







No comments:

Post a Comment